11 Sept 2014

Noises in the night

Although not big as storms go, last night we had a fair amount of wind and a lot of rain. Around the time that Obama was giving his address on TV, we heard some sudden banging noise that shook the wall of our bedroom.  I immediately went out into the rain to see what it was, but Parker insisted that it was the BBQ cover flapping in the breeze. No, it wasn't that, but I could not see much.

Ten minutes later, it happened again. Out I went with a better flashlight - this time it wasn't raining, so I waited... and caught the noise in progress. It was the house.  Way up high.

Peering into the darkness with my Canadian Tire special flashlight, I could detect some type of movement. I soon confirmed that it was the aluminum siding (actually the fascia board aluminum capping) that appeared to have come loose. Well, nothing could be done at night about it, so off I went to finish watching Obama and hope that the noise didn't continue all night. (It did...)

Fascia piece loose at the very peak of the roof
In the daylight this morning, the evidence was quite clear. A repair needed to be done before more rain and wind hit.
Yup, it's broke.
There were several nails that appeared to have popped and the piece needed to be re-attached. After dinner, Adam and I got out the ladder (not used for years) and got it ready. Nasty piece of work to get up to the top, but Adam took on the task. I was glad to be the official "holder of the ladder".

Look up...look way up!

Adam fixing the fascia board
Adam identified that it was actually a series of screws that were popped. He got them back in then used some roofing nails to make sure the piece was secured. A little construction adhesive was added for good measure.
Back to normal
The hardest part of the job for me? Getting the damned ladder down. The mechanism was so full of dust that the ratcheting part didn't work very well - at least until after it went up. Might only have a small bruise to remind me of the job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment